Tuesday, January 15, 2008

In loving memory of my wonderful Daddy, Tommy


My dad's funeral was yesterday. Since it had to happen, it went really well and it showed the person that my dad was. The preacher did a wonderful job at making it very personal. He knew dad for about 16 yrs and had lots of stories about him as well as the one's we told. My dad had a wonderful sense of humor, even in his all his pain, and with all the stories we were still able to have a laugh. So, Dad went out in the same style that he lived his life and that makes me very happy.


All of our family is still in town, they will be leaving tomorrow morning. I think that once they are gone it will really hit home that my dad is gone. I keep hoping and praying that this is a terrible nightmare and he will come walking through the door at any moment. The only comfort we have is knowing that this isn't the end, Dad is out of pain and with the Lord and he is waiting on us and watching over us. He promised he would be there for his grandbaby and I know he will in spirit. He told my mom not too long ago that nothing would keep him from his grandson, he doesn't break promises. I thank God that He put Dad in my life. Without Dad I wouldn't be me and my family wouldn't have turned out to be the wonderful family it is. He set a wonderful example of how to be a dad, husband and friend and we all learned a lot from him. Everyone has been so supportive and generous to our family and you can definitely see the impact that Dad had on everyone. I just wish he was here to see it himself, he wouldn't believe it. We are staying here until Sunday to be with my mom and sister. As I posted a few weeks ago, my parents were married 29 years. They were together since my mom was 14 years old (now 44) and my dad was 19 (now 50) so going on 31 years and the longest they had ever been apart in all those years was 5 days. Mom said that just a day or two before he passed she told him they still had to go out to eat for their 29th anniversary and Dad said "I'll be there Babe". So, she said she's going to go sometime and eat their dinner. My wonderful dad loved his family more than anything and there will forever be a hole where he was. Thank God this isn't the end.

4 comments:

Glo said...

I so sorry. I do feel your pain. My Mom was gone 16 yrs yesterday 1/14. The pain will leave you ,but all the memories are there for a life time. My Mom never got to see her first great grand child,but we always made sure Hayley knew who Grandma Jessie was with pictures and video.This is something you could start doing for your little one. I believe memories help ease the pain.
Hope your mother is doing well.I'm praying for her. Anniversary dinner sounds special. It will help her heal.
God bless,
Glo

Courtney said...

Your dad will see his grandbaby & though you won't see him. You'll know he's there. I know this is so hard for you & I'm so sorry. But, I know your strong & you have a wonderful family. I believe God does everything for a reason. Although your dad is gone you'll be so blessed in a few weeks with your baby boy! I hope that baby has a heart as big as your dad's!
I'm praying for you & your family. I hope your mom goes to her anniversary dinner. He'll be there with for thats one thing that can never be taken away. He'll live in your hearts forever.
Love & Prayers,
Courtney

ABW said...

My dad passed away when I was 6 months pregnant and my husband was deployed. When I brought my son home from the hospital, my then 5 year old told me that "Grandpa got to see him because he was rocking his little soul in Heaven until he was ready to meet us." The thought comforted me.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Charla said...

OMG Michelle, what a beautiful tribute to your dad! I know he's smiling down on you right now and he's so thankful to have been blessed with such a beautiful, loving daughter!

A few years ago, my sister's best friend was 8 1/2 months pregnant when her husband was suddenly killed in a logging accident! She was completely devestated, as you can imagine! Her husband was so excited to finally be getting his little girl ( after 2 boys) and he wasn't even going to get to meet her! Well, I told her what I'm about to tell you....don't cry, because he's smiling down from heaven right now because he got to see that precious baby before you!!! :)

That handsome baby boy you are carrying right now is a total gift from God,Michelle, and right now your dad is standing next to God and looking down at his beautiful grandson, still tucked away safely in his mommy's belly! He is with you all now and he will be there with you to welcome your handsome little man into this world too!!!

I've never been too good with advice, but I hope this helps some!Take care sweetie!! You and your family will continue to be in my prayers!!