Friday, August 18, 2006

Another Gettin' Fit Friday is upon us. I did ok this week. It seemed like I ate a little more than usual, but it was more like smaller portions more times per day. Which is how Eric and my dad eat and they are both skinny, lol. Not that I'm like them, because if I were I wouldn't be worried about losing the weight. Anyways, I've done my workouts everyday. I've been doing more Tae Bo than usual since I'm getting bored with riding the stationary bike. That's alright though, I'm still doing it and that's what counts. I have lost a few more pounds which brings my grand total up to 60 pounds! I was pretty proud of myself when I looked at the scale.

Classes are going ok. Both Eric and I are working ahead in both classes. I took my first exam in military history today and made an 88%, which is good considering it is a history class. I also took a test in the finance class and made a 100%. So, anyways, that's going alright.

My grandpa's wife came down the other day. The first day that she was here was an alright day with Grandpa. However, the second day wasn't so good. He wasn't doing very well, and after she left he started crying. He was having a semi-breakdown I think. Anyways, my parents took him to the ER because he was really upset and for the most part he hadn't been doing good at all. He was up for 2 days at a time and kept getting really mad at my dad when he would tell him anything. I felt so bad for Grandpa the day they took him to the ER. It was right before his wife left and he had his arm around me and I said "You sure are handsome, Grandpa." He said, "I'm dumb." That broke my heart. I told him he was not, he was the smartest man I know. He smiled and said, "Did you know I love you?" Anyways, after taking him to the hospital, they decided to keep him. They said he was really dehydrated and they wanted to keep him in. That was on Wednesday. The dr told my parents that no matter how hard we try we can't give him the care that he needs and that when they release him from the hospital she wants him to go to a nursing home. They're keeping him in the hospital for 7-10 days to try and get his medicine regulated and such. He had an MRI done and they read it on Wednesday too. The dr said that it shows that the blood vessels in his head are almost non-existant and that his heart rate was only in the 50's. My mom's mom (my grandpa is my dad's dad) sent my mom some things on Alzheimer's and it said that the average length a person lives with the disease is 7 years, although some have lived with it for more than 20 years. Grandpa started getting symptoms right after my grandma passed away, 7 years ago. The dr that told my parents all that told them that basically the dr that said that Grandpa didn't have Alzheimer's was leading them down a path of false hope. I pray that this dr is wrong and that there will be a miracle happen.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Matt's grandpa has Alzhiemer's & has had it for 8 years. Believe in miracles...I do!

Amy said...

Hey girl -
Have you read Lizzie's War? About a family during Vietnam? Really good read. Better than history! :)