Sunday, September 10, 2006

I got back from Kansas today. My grandpa's funeral was yesterday, it went as good as a funeral can go. They had a family dinner at 11:30 followed by a flower service (which, by the way, is a bit of a waste of time) and then the funeral started at 2. A lady sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" and then the lady that sang at my grandma's funeral sang "I Saw the Light" and "Old Rugged Cross." Grandpa always liked the ladies voice when she sang at Grandma's funeral, so they got her to sing for his too. When we went out to the cemetery, they had the military do the 21-gun salute, taps and the flag folding honors. That was really touching. Eric suggested to me that they ask the military to do the honors, and when I told my family they really liked the idea. It was so neat watching how precise and serious they take it. It filled me with pride knowing that Grandpa Ed fought for this country. He never talked much about his service, but he didn't have to. We all knew what he did for our country, and I think that's what makes the best soldier, doing what they have to do without wanting the recognition that they deserve. He went out with the highest honors though, and that is exactly what he deserved. The military gave the flag to my uncle, the oldest son, and he gave it to my dad. I told him I would buy him a display case to put it in. It was so weird going up there without him there. His wife sold his house a couple months ago and it was really odd not being able to over there to his house this time. My heart breaks for my dad and his brother and sisters. Dad isn't taking this very well, and he told me the other day, "It sure hurts to not have a mom or a dad anymore." He'll be fine, and time will help him deal, but I just wish I could help.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Blessings for you and your family! Amy

Courtney said...

That's so sad. I am glad everything went well though. Take care. Hope your dad feels better.

Glo said...

Our prayers are with you and your family. Sorry Eric couldn't be with you. Sounds like a very nice goodbye.

Monica said...

Prayers to your family.