Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My parents were going up to Kansas yesterday to be with Grandpa and I was planning on staying home. The dr and nurses told everyone up there that they thought Grandpa was holding on for dad, so they decided to go up there. They were just supposed to go up yesterday, come home today and then go back tomorrow. I planned on just going back up with them when they went, but we got word yesterday that the dr gave him less than 24 hrs to live, so I decided to go up with them. My brother was going to take his vehicle later in the day, so I went with my mom, dad, and sister. When we got to the town where my aunt lives (an hr from where we were going) I decided to get out and wait on my brother, cause he was on his way up and only about 45 mins behind us. Mom, Dad and Meg went ahead of us and when we were about 30 mins from where we were going we got a call from Meg. Grandpa passed away. We went as fast as we could to get there and it seemed like an eternity. My brother said that he bet Grandma was up in Heaven singing a tune. When we got there my Aunt Dixie said that she was with Grandpa when he passed. It was right before my parents got there and she said she was outside and the nurse came and got her. She ran in and she said she grabbed his hand and said, "Dad, I love you and Tommy's here." (Tommy is my dad.) She said as soon as she said that he took his last breath. His funeral is Saturday at 2. Since he was in Korea, Eric suggested that they have a military funeral for him, and I told them that. Everyone really liked the idea, so they're sending him out with the honor he deserves. It's so sad to think that Grandpa isn't with us anymore. We won't ever be able to go up and see him at his house. There will definitely be a void in all of us. Nothing or nobody can every take the place of that guy. He's one of a kind. I'm just glad that he's not suffering anymore. The last couple years have been torture for the guy, losing his mind and knowing that he's losing it. The last two months have been agonizing for him, and the past two weeks I'm sure have been hell. He's up in Heaven with Jesus now, singing and laughing and being with the love of his life. For that, I am extremely grateful. I just wish it didn't hurt so much, I wish Eric was here for me to lean on.

5 comments:

Monica said...

I am so sorry. Prayers to you and your family.

Courtney said...

Oh sweetie. I am so sorry for your loss. It is always harder to go through things when the person you love the most isn't there to help you. On the other hand, we ARE here. So if you need anything just holler.
**hugs**

Karyzma said...

Oh my gosh, Michelle! I regret so much that you lost him. He is in the best place now and I pray that God will bring comfort and ease the pain in your family.

Courtney said...

Oh sweetie. I hate this for you. Hang in there ok. My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family. I'm here if you need me.
Love ya,
Court

Glo said...

Michelle,
You and your family have our deepest symapathy.We are so sorry for your loss.Your all in our prayers.Take care and if you need me you know how to get me.Here for you always.
Love and Prayers,
Glo