Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Eric got an email today, they need his information about where he's going to be for R&R. They need to know who the next of kin is, they need to see a copy of his orders (because apparently you have to prove that you've been sent over there, in case there is some wacko who just packs up and goes on his/her own), they also need to see a copy of his LES and pretty much everything short of a blood/urine sample. That's ok though, I got everything that I had for him and emailed it, so we're one step closer to him being here. I'm so glad that they are now in the process of getting his leave form together for him.

My grandpa and his wife came down today. It's so good to see him, but as I sat there watching him today, tears came to my eyes. It's hard to see him getting older. In the past few years he's went downhill pretty bad. He has always been healthy as a horse, I had never even seen him sick. In the past year though he's been sick a few times, and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It's so sad to watch as he declines a little at a time. Growing up he was always the one making jokes and cracking everybody up. We were always dying with laughter when he was around. He was so sarcastic, although he says he's "quick witted". Now when he comes down to see us it's sad to see the humor slowly fading away. He still greets us the same though. We ask, "How are you Grandpa?" and he replies with his trademark phrase, "If I was any better I couldn't stand it." He's selling the house that has been in his family for many generations, which I know can't be good on his state of mind. He told my dad today that the people who bought the house paid only $25 for his fridge, and all his furniture. My dad was really upset about that, because he thought Grandpa was getting ripped off. His wife told my mom that all that stuff is in their garage. The saddest thing, I think, is while he was here, I went over and was holding his hand. I thought he said something, so I said, "What'd you say Grandpa?" and he looked up at me with sad eyes and said, "I didn't say anything, I thought you were wishing you could help your grandpa." I said, "What do you need help with?" His reply broke my heart, "I'm getting old sweetheart." It's sad seeing life take it's toll on the one's that you love, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Thank God he still has most of his mind a lot of the time.


He got some new sunglasses from the eye doctor the other day, I got a picture of him and my dad. He's so cute!

1 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. That is soo sad. I too have been noticing a decline in my grandparents. You're right it is incredibly hard.