Thursday, June 22, 2006

My grandpa isn't doing too good. My grandma passed away seven years ago, that's when he started getting bad. Then he remarried 2 (almost 3) years ago and he got better for a while. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and he's slowly getting worse. He's never had a CAT scan or anything to officially diagnose him. The extent of the tests that his doctor gave him where asking him a series of questions like, what day of the week it is and what season is it. So, he's getting worse and his wife is getting to where she can't take care of him anymore. She wants to put him in a nursing home, but my parents are going to offer to bring him down here to live. They want him to go to my dad's doctor to get checked out. They want to make sure that he actually has Alzheimer's and that he's not just on the wrong medications. He's diabetic so he's on insulin and various other medications that could cause some of the symptoms he's in. Either way, it can't hurt to check. I feel so bad for my grandpa. He's still in his right mind most of the time, so he knows what's going on. He knows that he's not right and it's so sad to watch him. He's always been the most healthy person in the family. When I was about 10, I remember Grandpa in his red wing boots racing my cousin who was about 15 and Grandpa won. He's always had a very sarcastic (quick witted) sense of humor, and now that he's getting worse it's so sad. We never know if he's just joking like he always has, or if he's having an episode. It's hard to know what to do when he talks about things and you're not sure if he's in his right mind. So, we do the only thing we know to do, and play along. No matter what he says. There's really no sense in trying to convince him any different anyways, it won't do any good. If it is Alzheimer's, it's only going to get worse, but I don't think putting him in a nursing home is going to do anything but make it worse. I really think that if his wife does that, he won't last very long.

1 comments:

Courtney said...

Your grandpa's in my prayers! Thanks for the comment on my blog as well. You to are "THE BEST"!
Have a great weekend!!!!