Saturday, March 04, 2006

I'm sitting here trying to read my physical geography book so that I can take a test by tomorrow. I have to read 2 chapters, and I've only read 2 pages so far. I'm working on my degree so that I can become a social worker. I love children, and I hate it when I see families treating their children badly, or when I see a situation where they could possibly be injured, or not taken care of the way that they should be. I want to be able to make a difference in those children's lives. So, to be able to do that I have to get my degree. Well, requirements to get an associates degree is a physical science. So, here I am reading about physical geography, something that I have little interest in, all so I can get a degree to help children. I fail to see how knowing how tectonic plates works has anything to do with what I want to do in my life. I'm also taking college algebra, another required class. Unless a child's mother/father is frustrated because they don't know the Pythagorean theorem and they are beating their children because of it, I again fail to see how that has anything to do with my field of interest. I've often wondered why it is that we have to have all of these insignificant classes that hold no relevance to what we want to do just to get a degree in what we do want to do. Then, I remember, money. Of course.

0 comments: